Dear Dr. Schwartz, I have a 12 year old daughter who is a great student. She works hard and has a great group of friends as well. The problem is that she has been developing a bad attitude and tone of voice with the entire family. She becomes rude and disrespectful many a time. I have tried everything from talks to "you name it" but nothing seems to help..the attitude continues. Sometimes I wonder if she is spoiled since she always seems to have whatever she wants since she is a hard worker in school and juggles her schedule very well with her extra-cirricular activites. However, I am at my wits end and don't know how to handle her constant disrespect and bad tone of voice. Can you suggest anything that might help us? Thank you so much.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.